Friday, April 11, 2008

Week In Review



There has been tons of action going on in sports lately. First of all, the Kansas Jayhawks are NCAA Champions. They defeated Memphis in dramatic fashion to steal the game and become immortal. In my earlier blogs towards the start of the tournament I predicted the Kansas team to be the winner. If I had just stuck with them on my Sweet 16 Pool (I went with UNC) I would be a few hundred dollars richer. I will just have to wait till next March when the tourney rolls around again. Baseball season is in full swing and the Mets and Yankees have been pretty inconsistent so far. The Mets already lost one of their aces, Pedro Martinez, to a hamstring injury. They also have been playing pretty unmotivated until last night. Last night the Mets played their rivals the Philadelphia Phillies. Left fielder Angel Pagan hit the game winning single to drive in Jose Reyes in the bottom of the twelfth inning. The Mets were on track to win the ballgame in the ordinary nine innings but as usual Aaron Heilman pitched terribly. I honestly believe Aaron Heilman is the most unclutch player in baseball. In his six innings of work this season he has been horrendous. Last year he was just plain awful and always seems to give up a big hit with the game on the line. It was after all Heilman who gave up the game winning hit to Yadier Molina in the 2006 NLCS. If the Mets had won that game they would have advanced to the World Series. Although I think Heilman stinks, the public does not. There is this altered perception that Heilman is one of the Mets most reliable pitcher when in fact he is the opposite. He needs to be traded or put back into the starting rotation because it is clear that relief pitching is not his thing.

No comments: