Friday, April 4, 2008

When I Played

Throughout my life I have been highly involved in sports and athletic activities. Since 1st grade I have been on organized sports teams. I have been on baseball, basketball, and football teams. I have also been involved in intramural sports in high school and other activities. Out of all the sports I have had the most fun playing basketball. I started out as a guard and point guard but over the years I converted to a forward. My forte was my ability to play great defense and prevent the other team from scoring. I also had a pretty good outside shot. My parents used to come to all of my games and they loved to watch me play. Although none of my teams ever won a championship I always felt that the seasons work was worth it. I also played baseball for many years. The main positions I played were second base and outfielder. I wasn’t the best hitter but in the field I was very aware of my surroundings and fielded well. My most memorable moment came in my last season. The game was tied and it was the last inning. The bases were loaded and there were already two outs. Of course it would wind up being my turn to bat with the game and our dignity on the line. My coach gave me the signal that I should bunt before I went up to the plate. I don’t know how, but I laid down the most perfect bunt ever and as I ran my fastest to first base I looked back to see the runner from third base cross the plate just before the catcher tried to tag him out. He was safe and scored, and I had done it. My team won the game and I was awarded the game ball for my bunt that helped the team win. In high school, I played football for one season. I played offensive guard and defensive end. The offensive guard has the responsibility to protect the quarterback and also set up blocks so the running backs can gain positive yardage. As a defensive end my responsibilities were actually the exact opposite then those of the offensive guard. Defensive ends must try to sack the quarterback and try to tackle an offensive player if they have the ball. It felt great to be a part of the team and I loved the camaraderie that came along with the hard work. Our team went 7-1-1 that year and we dominated almost every team we played.

No comments: